Langbos Creche and Care Centre
Langbos Informal Settlement, Eastern Cape, South Africa
This project represents our first expansion outside of the Western Cape. The Eastern Cape is very rural, and communities living in rural areas are the most neglected in respect to the allocation of resources to prevent and treat HIV / AIDS. Nearly 50% of South Africans live in rural regions.
Langbos represents the poorest of the poor among rural communities in the Eastern Cape and greater South Africa. The informal settlement has been neglected by the government and does not have access to basic amenities such as electricity, running water, or paved roads. The community also suffers from high levels of HIV and TB.
The Langbos Creche & Care Centre currently serves as a pre-school for up to 50 children, as well as a soup kitchen, HIV support group, and community center for the greater Langbos community. We are working together with the Langbos community and the Langbos Creche & Care Centre to help improve the lives of the children and families of Langbos.
- Empowering the Community: We began community meetings in April 2015 to assess needs in community and opportunity for projects, working to empower the community to always have an input into our projects to ensure they are meeting the greatest needs and executed in a culturally sensitive manner. Through the Langbos Children's Home construction, we were able to train and employ 30 residents of the Langbos community, who earned a competitive wage and received nutritious meals and professional development for 6 months.
- Monthly Grant for ePap: We are currently supplying monthly grant to Langbos Community Centre to sponsor ePap, a nutrient rich porridge specifically designed for individuals suffering from HIV or malnourishment.
- Monthly Grant for Creche Food & Security: We are currently supplying a monthly grant to the Langbos Creche that funds a daily meal for the creche students, as well as security for the entire center.
- Improved First Aid: We have provided upgraded first aid kits to both Creche and Community Centre.
- Improved Fundraising and Sponsor Relations: We are working with the Langbos Creche & Care Centre to help them create new fundraising materials to help attract a large and diverse pool of local and international sponsors. This includes our jointly produced “Little Humans” video that received over 70,000 views online and was featured on SABC 1’s Shift to over 11 million viewers.
- Solar Light Distribution: We distributed over 150 solar powered lanterns to every single home in Langbos. These solar powered lights are an alternative to the candles and paraffin lanterns commonly used in many Langbos homes that can be very dangerous and also expensive.
- Census to Assess Needs and Opportunities: We visited every single home in Langbos to collect census data on topics including health, education, employment, and safety. This data will be incredibly valuable to help assess the greatest needs and opportunities in Langbos.
For more information, please visit http://www.langbos.co.za/